Monday, May 13, 2013

18 weeks and Mother's Day

I had a really difficult time during Mother's Day, last year especially. When all I wanted more than anything to be a mom and there was a day dedicated to moms. A day where kids and dads are making breakfast in bed or taking her out to brunch and celebrating her by participating in her favorite activity. It was like a knife to the heart last year and to be honest I find it to be really exclusionary.

Fast forward to this year and I still feel a bit of the same during Mother's Day. I think it's exclusionary. There are a lot of women who aren't Moms for a lot of different reasons (IF, loss, give up for adoption, child free by choice and not by choice, etc.). I also think that one can be a "Mom" without having given birth to a child. Basically there is a large variety of mothering and I think that should all be celebrated.

Even though I'm not completely on the other side, it still felt weird to be "celebrated" in a sense. I'm showing now and I had people saying "Happy Mother's Day" to me. It was really strange.

We did surprise my parents that we're having a boy though and that was incredible! When my mom was opening the gift (the picture of me in front of the "It's a Boy" chalkboard) she looked up at me all teary eyed and said "Really, are you serious?" When I confirmed that, yes, I was indeed serious, she burst into tears, shoved the picture to my dad who started to tear up and my sister and BIL were clapping, it was awesome! Then we told them his name - Hunter Stephen, and my dad started to mist up even more. Stephen is my dad's name and he just kept saying, "I'm so honored, thank you so much" It was such a great moment. I had said before I didn't have a chance to surprise anyone with anything this pregnancy and when I finally pulled something over on them, it was so great!

My MIL was out of town but we left the gift at her house. I'm kind of glad I'm not seeing her reaction because she really wanted us to have a girl. I also told my SIL and BIL and my SIL I think was secretly really happy we weren't having a girl (because she wants to be the one to give my MIL the girl) and masked it as, oh I'm so happy that your nephew will have a playmate close in age (a little over 2 years apart).

Now, picture and update time. I went maybe a little crazy this weekend and got a couple outfits for Hunter, some swaddles and bibs and also got my diaper bag!! It's one I've been eyeing forever and I had a really nice giftcard to Nordstrom so I thought I'm going for it. Also, I've started our cloth diaper stash as well!

So much to share!



How far along? 18 weeks

Size of Baby: The Bump says a sweet potato

Total Weight Gain/Loss: +1 lb

Maternity Clothes: Oh yes and I got more this weekend (notice the blouse?)

Sex of Baby:  A little BOY!!

Belly Button In/Out: In

Stretch Marks: Nope

Labor Signs: Nope

Movement: Maybe a little, but I'm not so sure yet. Sometimes I feel like fluttering, but it doesn't last very long and I don't feel it every day. I think in the next couple weeks I'll feel more. 

Sleep: Sucks so much because I get up to pee at least 4 times a night. UGHHHHH

Cravings/Aversions: Lately I've been all about the fruit, especially peaches and cherries

Symptoms: Fatigue, peeing, RLP, back pain, hip pain, headaches, dizziness. I almost fainted the other day and went to the Dr. and all is well with Hunter. 

Feeling: Really good and very excited! I'm getting closer to the halfway mark which is when we said we would start to register and go look for nursery furniture which is exciting. I'm just really happy and grateful. 

Best Moment this Week: Surprising my parents and letting them know they're going to have a grandson in October!

What I Miss: Sleeping through the night (same as last week, but really I miss it). Also, wearing all my wedding rings. I have two wedding bands and my engagement ring in the center and my fingers are swelling so much that I can't wear all 3. Sometimes I can't even wear the engagement ring, so I'm wearing one wedding band only right now. I'm sure being pregnant during the dead of summer is going to be delightful!

What I am Looking Forward To: Movement and meeting my new midwife on Wednesday! I hope I like her. 

Milestones: Getting closer and closer to half baked and V-day. With each week that passed by it feels more and more real like this is really happening!!

Baby Milestones: Hunter is now about 5.5 inches long from crown to rump and weighs almost 7 oz. (that's 4 oz more than 2 weeks ago - grow Hunter grow!!!) He is flexing arms and legs, which I'll be able to notice more in the next couple weeks. His blood vessels are visible through his skin and his ears are in his final position. A protective covering or myelin is beginning to form on his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after Hunter is born.

Next Appointment: May 15 - 1st midwife appointment, then Anatomy scan should be next week. Looking forward to seeing Hunter again!


Some footed onesies with hats
Swaddles and Burp cloths/bibs
Cloth diaper stash and other gifts (I need to get organized instead of keeping all this stuff in the office!)

1 comment:

  1. Aww those clothes are adorable! So exciting about telling your family it is a boy!

    You look so great! It must be nice having visual proof of the baby in there!

    ReplyDelete