So I started this blog when I was in the 2WW of IUI #2, but I still wanted to document my medicated cycles up to this point, so this post and the next will be about my first 2 IUIs.
I kind of felt the first IUI cycle wasn't going to work, but of course I still had my hopes up since this was the first cycle I even had a shot in hell of getting knocked up.
The good news about the first IUI is that I responded well to the Clomid, meaning I had 2 mature follicles and I ovulated successfully (determined by my progesterone level on 7 dpIUI, which was above a 17). The bad news is that after the sperm wash, the count was very low. Nick had a super tough week the week he had to give his sample and got really no sleep, and stress and lack of sleep can really affect the sperm.
So this was another reason we were pretty prepared it wasn't going to work. Except, on 10 dpiui and 11 days past my HCG trigger, I broke down and tested and got a VERY clear result on a FRER. I should have tested out my trigger, which I'm doing in the 2nd IUI cycle, because I convinced myself that I was KU.
Unfortunately the Friday I got my beta, AF showed up after I got back from the b/w but it still didn't make the call with my beta result any less heartbreaking. Especially when the nurse tells me right after she says I'm not pregnant that we should move straight to IVF because the sperm count was so low. I wanted to do at least 3 IUI cycles before we moved to IVF and we had agreed to that with the RE, but she said it was recommended we go right to IVF. Well I just started to bawl on the phone with her, I didn't want to start the BCPs on Monday, I wasn't ready for IVF yet. After Nick and I talked, we decided we would do 1 or 2 more IUI cycles before moving to IVF. It was a hard decision, because I have a much higher chance of getting pregnant with IVF, but I just wasn't emotionally prepared to move to that step yet.
I kind of felt the first IUI cycle wasn't going to work, but of course I still had my hopes up since this was the first cycle I even had a shot in hell of getting knocked up.
The good news about the first IUI is that I responded well to the Clomid, meaning I had 2 mature follicles and I ovulated successfully (determined by my progesterone level on 7 dpIUI, which was above a 17). The bad news is that after the sperm wash, the count was very low. Nick had a super tough week the week he had to give his sample and got really no sleep, and stress and lack of sleep can really affect the sperm.
So this was another reason we were pretty prepared it wasn't going to work. Except, on 10 dpiui and 11 days past my HCG trigger, I broke down and tested and got a VERY clear result on a FRER. I should have tested out my trigger, which I'm doing in the 2nd IUI cycle, because I convinced myself that I was KU.
Unfortunately the Friday I got my beta, AF showed up after I got back from the b/w but it still didn't make the call with my beta result any less heartbreaking. Especially when the nurse tells me right after she says I'm not pregnant that we should move straight to IVF because the sperm count was so low. I wanted to do at least 3 IUI cycles before we moved to IVF and we had agreed to that with the RE, but she said it was recommended we go right to IVF. Well I just started to bawl on the phone with her, I didn't want to start the BCPs on Monday, I wasn't ready for IVF yet. After Nick and I talked, we decided we would do 1 or 2 more IUI cycles before moving to IVF. It was a hard decision, because I have a much higher chance of getting pregnant with IVF, but I just wasn't emotionally prepared to move to that step yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment