Saturday, January 26, 2013

I'm Officially PUPO!!!

I cried this morning I was so happy and relieved we've finally gotten to this point. I barely slept last night because I was so anxious to hear how our embies were doing and if the transfer was going to go smoothly or not.

Nick and I got to the office around 9am and were immediately taken back to the transfer room where I changed and got up on the table. They told me to fill up my bladder and I was chugging my Gatorade. About 20 minutes after we got into the room the embryologist FINALLY comes in and says "Well guys I have great news for you" I think my heart might have stopped a little bit right then and I breathed a sigh of relief. She then goes on to tell us that we have 1 perfect grade 1AA (highest grading) hatching blastocyst that she said she got giddy about when she saw it today! She said that we have a 65-70% chance of this working and if we were to transfer 2 our twin rate would be over 50% - eeek!! The rest of our 10 embryos are still chugging along too and she's thinking we might have around 4 really good ones to freeze.

So since we have the highest possible grade for a blast and it's starting to hatch we decided to transfer that 1 perfect blast and we weren't really comfortable with the over 50% chance of twins. We've waited MUCH too long for this and I don't want to be high risk. Deciding how many to transfer was the easy part!

Now comes the really difficult part of hearing from the u/s tech that my bladder isn't full enough (as she's pushing on it and I almost pee on myself) and my ovaries are huge and the uterus isn't really visible so I need to fill my bladder more. FYI - I JUST drank almost 30 oz of Gatorade so I'm bursting. Then she comes in a second time and again, not full enough. So Nick goes and gets me 2 huge glasses of water, so I chug those. Finally, after the 3rd u/s scan, my bladder is full enough and the embryologist confirms our names again and the Dr. comes in and preps me for the transfer. The transfer itself was really smooth - she got past my cervix so quickly and I barely felt it. Then we saw the embryo up on the screen getting sucked into the other catheter and it was handed off for transfer. That catheter went in really smoothly as well and we could see it going into my uterus on the screen. Once the catheter was placed at the top of my uterus we saw the infamous flash, they checked to see if the embryo was out of the catheter, and it was, and we were all finished!!

Now I'm snuggled up in bed eating a sandwich and my biggest decision is whether to watch Scandal or Pretty Little Liars. I've heard they're both good, so since I'll be laying around all weekend I might as well watch something campy and entertaining.

Beta is scheduled for 2/5 and this is going to be the longest 1.5 weeks of my life!! I just really hope this little embaby decides to snuggle into mommy for 9 months and on October 15 (my 29th birthday) I'm welcoming our bundle of joy!

For some reason I can't upload the photo, so I'll try later, but to us, that picture is everything.

Now I will be obsessing over the below table from the NYU Fertility Center. Also, I think I will test out my trigger and POAS before beta - 2/5 just seems TOO far away.


5-Day Transfer

Days Past
Transfer (DPT)
Embryo Development
OneThe blastocyst begins to hatch out of its shell
TwoThe blastocyst continues to hatch out of its shell and begins to attach itself to the uterus
ThreeThe blastocyst attaches deeper into the uterine lining, beginning implantation
FourImplantation continues
FiveImplantation is complete, cells that will eventually become the placenta and fetus have begun to develop
SixHuman chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) starts to enter the blood stream
SevenFetal development continues and hCG continues to be secreted
EightFetal development continues and hCG continues to be secreted
NineLevels of hCG are now high enough to detect a pregnancy

2 comments:

  1. Yay, such great news! I have everything crossed for you!! And I'm hoping that you get the best gift ever for your 29th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting!!! Best news ever to have that one perfect blast!! And awesome news that you will have some additional to freeze! When will you hear how many they freeze? Enjoy your lounging around!

    ReplyDelete